While some places are known for their bustling streets and crazy nightlife, the Shuswap offers a quietly cool alternative that makes social distancing easy. The best part? You’re still guaranteed loads of fun. Surrounded by mountains, trails, lakes and beaches, you’ll find endless adventures and ample space around you to explore. Read on to find out why we’re the original masters of crowd management (since way before it was a thing).
1. We’re the outdoor type.
Once you see our surroundings, you’ll understand why we prefer life outdoors. Trust us. You’re more likely to brush past a tree than a person when exploring the Shuswap. When visiting next, make sure to put these local outdoor pastimes on your to-list:
- Hiking or biking our nature trails. Winding over mountains and along lakes and rivers, we’ve got 700 kilometres of trails to explore. And because we’re all about bonding with friends, we’ve got trails to suit all kinds of abilities. Find out more here.
- Fishing on a quiet lake. We’ve got tons of waterways to explore by boat, if nothing else, you’re guaranteed to catch some classic memories. Try your luck at spots like Gardom Lake and White Lake.
- Classic beach fun. Everything from good old-fashioned rock skipping to volleyball are enjoyed on our shores. At night, beach fires are a great way to bond with your bubble and stay toasty warm in the fall months.
- Movie night under the stars at Starlight Drive-In in Enderby (open May to September).
- Picnics in the park at spots like Sicamous Beach Park and Shuswap Lake Provincial Park.
2. We don’t follow the crowd.
In the Shuswap, we’re not into the latest and greatest thing. The queues and crowds you tend to find at trendy bars, achingly cool boutiques and flashy restaurants don’t really interest us. Here’s how we’ve always had fun in our part of the world:
- Low-key drinks at Barley Station Brew Pub. This classic craft brewery is known for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere and use of local ingredients.
- A classic round of golf with your crew at Talking Rock Golf or Hyde Mountain Golf Course.
- Laidback shopping at locally-owned boutiques like Shuswap Artisan Market and On Alex. Take your time browsing and pick up some handmade treasures from the Shuswap.
Larch Hills Winery
3. We keep it laid-back.
Our idea of a good time is less about being seen, and more about being unseen. Less fanfare, more conversation and more connection is our motto. Here’s some of the ways we celebrate with our loved ones and make new memories in the Shuswap:
- A day spent in wine country. Stop into Celista Estate Winery, Marionette Winery and Larch Hills Winery for a glass of wine and great views.
- Alfresco dining at local favourites like Moose Mulligan’s Public Eatery and Scotch Creek Hub.
- Pizza with the gang at G&G Kitchen and Tap in Sicamous.
- Sunday Brunch at Quaaout Lodge.
Ready for your getaway away from the crowds? Here’s everything you need to know to plan your trip to the Shuswap.